Local amenities are a short walk from the home and include shops, cafes, pubs, a library and doctor’s surgery. We are located on a quiet side road, a mere stone’s throw from the cricket pitch, bowling green and beautiful weir. A nearby hotel and restaurant are also located on the river Thames.
Here at Cleeve Lodge we have our own cook who prepares home cooked and tasty meals daily. There is a varied menu on offer with recipes designed to meet all dietary requirements. We take pride in sourcing our fresh produce from local suppliers.
Meal times themselves are sociable and stimulating times. Our dining room is bathed in light, creating a bright and positive ambience. Residents and staff eat side-by-side, extending that family feel.
Food is typically served in the dining room itself however we can arrange for meals to be brought to a room, should your relative prefer.
- Breakfast is served from 7am (or when requested)
- Morning coffee and biscuits is served at 10.30am
- Lunch (main meal) is served from – 12.30am
- Afternoon tea and homemade cake is served from 3.30pm
- Supper is served from - 5.30pm (depending on requirements or as requested)
- Evening drinks available from 8pm (or as requested)
Sample choice from our menu
- Breakfast – Fruit juice, cereal, porridge, toast with marmalade, eggs, fresh fruit. Tea or coffee.
- Lunch – Roast pork, roast potatoes, seasonal vegetables, apple sauce and gravy, or chicken in white wine sauce, creamy mash and honey glazed carrots OR salad with ham, chicken or boiled egg.
- Dessert – homemade bread and butter pudding, fruit crumble, rice pudding or ice cream.
- Supper – Homemade soup or sausage rolls, selection of sandwiches, cheese on toast. Fresh fruit salad, yoghurt, fruit mousse or small cake selection.
- Coffee and tea is served in the dining room and lounge after meals.
- Alcohol is freely available, either with a meal or during the day.
- Extra snacks and drinks are available upon request throughout the day and night.
People were complimentary about the food. One person told us, 'the food is very nice, I like the puddings and staff always ask me what I would like. A relative told us, 'good food is a large part of an elderly persons life and the food at Cleeve Lodge is excellent, wholesome, traditional, varied and plentiful'.
Mealtimes were a sociable and relaxed event. Staff sat with residents and all enjoyed their meals together.
"In April 2019 Cleeve Lodge were awarded the highest rating for Food Hygiene of 5* ."
Activities and Entertainment
We encourage social interaction and try to provide our residents with a varied entertainment programme. We understand that all of our residents led busy lives before Cleeve Lodge; with jobs, families, friends, hobbies and interests. As a result, we try to incorporate each all within our own activity schedule.
A typical week of activities would include music, exercise, crosswords, group discussions, reminiscence and a visiting poet. Elsewhere two popular entertainers regularly frequent the home, providing welcomed familiarity.
We also have a monthly visit from therapy dogs. Daily newspapers, magazines, fresh fruit and sweets meanwhile are available throughout the home daily. Most days, staff will walk with residents into the village to go to the shops, watch the cricket or have a coffee. We attend a coffee club in the village most Thursdays and a cinema club once a month.
Our Activity Coordinator creates a suitable activity plan which is person centred and enhances our resident’s daily living. All resident birthdays are also remembered and celebrated.
Our activity programme is displayed in the main hallway, along with photographs of our residents.
Holy Communion is held once a month. Other denominations will visit residents upon request.
CQC Report 2019
Residents were involved in all decisions about activities. During the inspection residents were actively engaged in discussing the activities they had enjoyed and those they wished to try. Staff had organised an outing to go bowling. No-one who went on the outing had previously been bowling. People spoke with excitement and enthusiasm when talking about activites they had enjoyed. One person had told staff they had not been to the seaside since they were a small child. A trip to the sea had been arranged and the photographs showing what a wonderful time people had.
The provider and registered manager were passionate about providing an outstanding service that resulted in the best possible outcomes for people.
Residents were involved in all aspects of their care and felt in control of their lives. One person told us, 'I am absolutely in control and the staff cannot do enough for me'. Another resident told us 'It is the best possible place I can be and there is wonderful management'. Relatives comments included 'the care at Cleeve Lodge in my opinion is outstanding, and can honestly say that my relatives quality of life has been enhanced and I believe, prolonged by living at Cleeve Lodge. We feel so furtunate and blessed the day we found this truly wonderful Care Home'.
Service leadership was exceptional and distinctive. Leaders and service culture they created drove and improved high quality, person-centred care.